What goes on in the kitschy kitchen? Recipes and ramblings from the home of Kitschy Cupcakes.

Wednesday 14 April 2010

I can't believe it's not butter

Back from Glasgow (boy, was that a train journey!) and already been back baking in the kitschy kitchen. I haven’t posted for while as my laptop isn’t connecting to the internet at home (so I’m currently in the day-job office - shhhhh).

Anyway, had my first experiment with (gasp! horror!) butter-free cupcakes this week. A very nice bride-to-be with intolerance to lactose came round for a tasting. I think it went ok!

The sponge mixture was very light and the cupcakes rose really well, so I was unexpectedly pleased with the results. If it wasn’t counter to my principles of using good natural stuff, I’d be tempted to change to margarine! (Just like mother used to make!)

I also tried a range of I-can’t-believe-it’s-not-butter-icing toppings, and took the opportunity to go like a kid in a sweet shop on a range of decorations (I’ll post some pictures when I’m back online at home). What fun! If it wasn’t so impractical to have a different topping style on every cake I think I’d decorate all my cupcakes in this haphazard manner – a bit of this, a sprinkle of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment